Government House was rebuilt in 1891 to serve as both the office and the official residence of the lieutenant governor of the North-West Territories and was built as a symbol of the British Empire. When the province of Saskatchewan was created in 1905, Government House became the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan. By 1945, Government House had become too expensive to maintain and with an influx of veterans returning from World War II, Government House was turned into a convalescent hospital. On August 2, 1945, an auction was held and most of the original furniture was sold.
From 1958 to 1977, Government House provided space for the Department of Continuing Education to hold adult education classes under its new name, Saskatchewan House and In 1977 restoration began and the House was officially opened as a museum on September 4, 1980 – Saskatchewan’s 75th birthday. Government House was officially named a National Heritage Site on August 21, 1981 and a Provincial Historic Site on August 26, 1981. An addition to Government House was completed in May 2005 to provide space for new exhibits, events and administrative offices.